The Historic Dockyard Chatham – No.3 Slip: The Big Space is one of Medway’s most historic buildings. It is truly stunning but does have a few lumps and bumps in the floor, please do be aware of this when navigating the exhibition space and take care at all times! Need more information? We’ll be happy to have a chat if you have any queries, please give us a call on 01622 684407.
Five things you might not know about our unique venue space at The Historic Dockyard Chatham – No.3 Slip: The Big Space
- The site played a key role in the naval history for more than 400 years – building over 400 ships between 1547 – 1984
- At its height the Dockyard employed more than 10,000 workers across 26 different trades
- It was always on the River Medway, but the current site of the Dockyard is not its original, it moved downstream in 1613
- It was so huge workers would have to take a bus to get from one end to the other
- At over 1,100 feet long, the Victorian Ropery is only one of the original Navy Ropeyards to remain in operation